Saturday, December 06, 2008

Taddi-Babes


There's our new boy! He arrived 6 weeks ago already, and this is the first chance I've had to write. Tad is wonderful! And Toby really loves being a big brother (the 'hugest brother in the whole wide world,' actually...)

I worked up to the last minute, after light labour all day Thursday, and more intense labour starting about 2am Friday morning. In fact, we ended up going to the hospital a bit late - at 8cm! We thought he'd be born any minute, but he was stubborn. I was stubborn too, so even though delivery seemed imminent, I made them give in and give me an epidural.... what a miracle! (the epidural, not the baby... yet!). After a few hours of intense pushing, they figured out that his head was a bit turned - to profile instead of face down. We had to go into the operating room for forceps. Poor Anthony had no idea what they were up to - he was pale as a ghost, and look like he wished he could sink through the floor. I got them to explain, and Anthony agreed - out popped Tad a few minutes later - with his head blown out to one side! I said he was pretty damned ugly, but I was lying... and crying... and soooo happy!

We stayed in the hospital for 2 nights - the IWK is fabulous and we were well looked after... I wished I could stay! But coming home was great - Anthony's a wonderful Dad, and helps out a lot with housework, surprisingly. Mum brought meals in and helped me with errands and chores for the first few weeks, and Auntie V was another willing helper. Uncle Jake got to see him a couple weeks later after his hitch. Though Toby's still in daycare full time, sometimes I miss having a housegirl!! I am finding it a bit stressful with a toddler and a newborn, but it's all coming together - I will get used to it in time!

Toby's at the Farmer's Market with our upstairs neighbour right now, and Anthony went to New Brunswick with Rollie to help him chop wood for the winter... (I figured he should get a taste of true Canadian winter ;-) Tad's sleeping away and I have finally had the opportunity to post. I will try to be a bit more regular from now on, as I love having the record of all of Toby's firsts!



At six weeks, Tad's practicing his smiles like crazy; lifts his head a little when on his tummy; certainly recognizes me, as well as Anthony and Toby; drinks expressed milk from a bottle when I need to go out; sleeps for 4-5 hours at a time though often then feeds for 2-3 hours after that; and is generally a joy and a delight... yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment