Wednesday, August 15, 2007

spa dentist

What a treat to have a day off in the middle of the week! I asked for an R&R day – we get one day off for every weekend spent in Sudan – so I could get to the airport to finalize my claim for the missing 3 shoes. I ended up with £113 – about $250. The only problem is, you can’t get good shoes here at a decent price – that why I buy 'em in Canada!! I figured the only ones I really need at this point are the sneakers so I can go to the gym; I'll leave the sandals until it's warmer weather here. I went over to Nairobi sports house at Yaya centre (after scoffing a great seafood penne at my new favourite Italian café) and ended up with a too-big pair of men’s Pumas. Oh well, at least I can work out again!

Since I had the day off, and I’ve been meaning to do it for a while, I went to the dentist. Strange how in Kenya you can just walk in and ask for a cleaning! Their office is in an old converted house – actually, I used to work there when I first came to Kenya – it’s the old VSFB office! But they’ve renovated and made it just smashing, complete with modern red leather sofas and a flat screen TV in the waiting room. That’s one of the reasons I felt comfortable going to this particular dentist: he obviously cares about appearances & comfort – a rare find in Kenya. Other dentist offices seems somehow disheveled, and the receptionists look at you like you’re from another planet – not exactly confidence-building.

But here, as I stretched out on the brand new dentist chair in his spacious office, a fountain gurgled outside, framed by an arbour of flowers and vines, and classical music played in the background… it felt like a spa! He's got all brand new equipment, and since I used to work in the building, I know exactly what he's done to improve it - new bathrooms, walls removed, decorator colours - the whole bit. The atmosphere was very calming and I can hardly wait to go back to get some cavities filled… haha! I also asked him about braces for my bottom teeth and a few other cosmetic touches – all things considered, I think it might be cheaper here, and I have one pushed-back tooth that I’ve always wanted to straighten out… why not go to a SPA DENTIST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment